Federal government to fund majority of ACT gun buyback scheme after negotiations
C
By Charlie Gore
Topic:Gun Control
Posted
The agreement between the ACT and Commonwealth governments will see over 75 per cent of the scheme’s costs covered by federal funding. (ABC News: Berge Breiland)
In short:
The ACT and federal governments have come to an agreement on how a national gun buyback scheme will be funded in the territory.
The federal government will fund 75 per cent of the buybacks and associated administrative costs, and 100 per cent of the firearm destruction costs, with the ACT government funding the rest.
What’s next?
Details about when the scheme will begin in the ACT and what compensation will be offered are expected to be announced in the coming days.
The ACT will introduce a gun buyback scheme similar to the one in NSW, as part of a national push to strengthen Australia’s gun laws.
The agreement between the federal and ACT governments comes after a National Cabinet commitment to “eradicate” antisemitism and strengthen gun laws following the Bondi Beach terrorist attack in December last year.
Last week, NSW announced it would be the first state to begin the national buyback scheme, commencing on November 2.
The ACT committed to being part of the scheme after it was announced in the wake of the attack, but until now has remained in negotiation with the federal government over how it would be funded.
The agreement will see the Commonwealth government fund 75 per cent of the buyback and associated administrative costs, and 100 per cent of the firearm destruction costs, with the ACT government funding the rest.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says national gun reform is important to ensure terrorist attacks like the one in Bondi cannot occur again. (ABC News: Matt Roberts)
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in a statement that the scheme was about taking action to keep communities safe.
“National gun reform is an important part of making sure an antisemitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can’t happen again,” Mr Albanese said.
“I thank the ACT government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians.“
Currently there are about 23,000 firearms in the ACT, and over 7,000 people who hold a firearms licence.
About 14 per cent of those licence holders are expected to be affected by the proposed firearms cap.
No further details have been given about what date the scheme will begin in the territory, or what compensation will be offered per surrendered firearm.
‘Some of the strongest firearms laws in the country’
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr acknowledged that the majority of firearms owners were responsible and law-abiding. (ABC News: Ian Cutmore)
In a statement, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the agreement with the federal government strengthened community safety, and supported effective firearm reforms across jurisdictions.
“Reducing the number of high-risk firearms in circulation is a sensible and practical measure to help keep Canberrans safer,” he said.
“Working with the Commonwealth and NSW ensures a more coordinated approach to firearms safety.
“The ACT has some of the strongest firearms laws in the country and this agreement supports our ongoing efforts to further reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands.“
Mr Barr acknowledged that “the overwhelming majority” of licensed gun owners were responsible and law-abiding citizens.
Along with committing to the national buyback scheme, the ACT has also proposed a change to its gun laws. (ABC News: Keane Bourke)
“The buyback scheme will provide compensation while helping deliver further community safety outcomes,” Mr Barr said.
The agreement also comes after the ACT government proposed new gun laws for the territory in February, which would see licensed gun holders limited to owning five guns.
The Firearms (Public Safety) Amendment Bill 2026 includes exemptions on that cap, allowing up to 10 guns for occupational and sporting purposes.
It would also criminalise the possession of blueprints for 3D-printed guns, prohibit belt-fed firearms, and re-categorise firearm types.
The bill is still before the ACT Legislative Assembly, and is expected to be debated during the assembly’s spring sittings.
Originally published on www.abc.net.au — View original