Mike Nesbitt resigns as health minister amid row with UUP leader

Jon Burrown and Mike Nesbitt. Jon os bald, wearing a white shirt and blue suit. Mike has short grey hair, wearing a white shirt, grey tie and black blazer.Image source, PA Media
Image caption,

Mike Nesbitt’s resignation comes amid a row with the UUP leader Jon Burrows

By

Political correspondent, BBC News NI
  • Published

Mike Nesbitt has resigned as health minister amid a row with the UUP leader Jon Burrows.

The decision comes following a clash over withdrawing emergency general surgery services from Causeway Hospital.

Nesbitt served twice as leader of the party, first from 2012 until 2017 and again from 2024 until earlier this year when Burrows took over.

Burrows thanked him for his service, saying he “took on arguably the hardest job in government”.

The UUP leader said he plans to discuss the health brief with party colleagues and will confirm a nomination soon.

Nesbitt said his time as health minster was “the greatest privilege of his political career”.

Another ex-leader Doug Beattie quit the UUP in May, lashing out at Burrows’ leadership.

It is unclear whether Nesbitt will follow suit and quit the party as well as resigning his ministry.

Causeway Hospital clash

Jon Burrows is talking. He's wearing a navy suit with a white and blue stripped shirt and a navy tie with a pattern. The background is out of focus. Image source, PA Media
Image caption,

Jon Burrows had previously said he did not support EGS being removed from Causeway Hospital

Last week Burrows, who is a North Antrim MLA, told a town hall meeting that he did not support emergency general surgery (EGS) being removed from Causeway Hospital.

The Northern Health Trust previously recommended that EGS should only be provided at one of its hospital sites.

It is understood the Department of Health (DoH) was still waiting for a final recommendation to come to the minister.

Nesbitt was unable to attend last week’s meeting due to a constituency election meeting in Strangford and Burrows attended in his place, where he voiced opposition to the closure of the EGS service.

Last week he said he did not agree with that and would “never agree with it”.

“Emergency surgery must remain at the Causeway Hospital and it should be built up, not run down and that is my position and it’s not for negotiation.”

However, he stopped short of saying whether or not he would direct Nesbitt not to sign off on the move.

Speaking on Wednesday morning, after the resignation, Burrows acknowledged the need for reform but said “how we deliver reform is every bit as important as what we ultimately decide”.

He said “safe, sustainable services,” are the priority and reform must also address “health inequalities and regional imbalance, and recognise that people in different parts of Northern Ireland do not currently enjoy equal access to timely healthcare”.

He said “reform cannot simply be done to communities”.

“I don’t believe we have got that balance right, and the strength of feeling around Causeway shows what happens when communities feel decisions are arriving rather than being made with them”.

Figure caption,

Causeway Hospital: how can UUP leader speak out against a policy his own Health Minister is implementing?

Nesbitt’s resignation letter

In his resignation letter, Nesbitt said that when Burrows became party leader, he told him his “one ‘red line'” was puberty blockers and his “opposition to Northern Ireland participating in the Pathways trial”.

In a copy of the letter he sent to Burrows, posted on social media, external, Nesbitt said the party leader had now “introduced a second red line” regarding the EGS at Causeway Hospital.

Nesbitt said he had discovered Burrows’ view of “issues under [his] purview” by “monitoring the media”.

“Yesterday, I offered you a way to manage this situation. As I have not received a timely response and given the shock waves you have created in the HSC system, this matter needs resolved,” he said.

This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Skip X post by Mike Nesbitt

Allow X content?

This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

End of X post by Mike Nesbitt

‘A significant legacy’

In his statement on Wednesday, Burrows described Nesbitt as approaching his ministerial position “with seriousness, integrity and a determination” and said the direction he set on tackling issues would continue.

In a statement on Tuesday, a UUP spokesperson thanked Nesbitt “sincerely for his service and for the leadership he has given to our health and social care workforce”.

“Mike took on one of the most difficult briefs in government with a genuine determination to make health and social care better for everyone in Northern Ireland.

“From beginning the shift towards a neighbourhood model of care, to putting health inequalities at the centre of policy, he leaves a significant legacy, not least the progress made on some of Northern Ireland’s longest waiting lists.”

It is unclear who will take over as health minister but Nesbitt’s decision to quit leaves the party seven days to nominate a replacement.

A Northern Trust spokesperson said the current model of providing emergency general surgery across two acute sites is becoming “increasingly unsustainable” and surgical colleagues are finding it challenging to provide 24/7 emergency rota cover at both hospitals.

The trust said that in absence of a Ministerial decision, “we will continue to do all we can…to ensure our general surgery service remains as safe and stable as possible, with patient safety our utmost priority. Our preference remains for a planned and managed change that will ensure we can avoid a potential service collapse”.

Campaigners have said withdrawing emergency general surgery (EGS) from Causeway Hospital would create a domino effect leading to other services being withdrawn.

What have politicians said?

A man with short fair haired wears a black suit and blue shirt. He stands in front of a blue screen.Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Sir Chris Bryant said it was vital for patients across Northern Ireland that work carry on without interruption, following the resignation

Northern Ireland Secretary Sir Chris Bryant thanked Nesbitt “for the enormous contribution” he made during his time as health minster “in confronting the huge challenges facing the health service and driving forward reform”.

He said it was “vital for patients across Northern Ireland that this work continues without interruption”.

Michelle ONeill with blonde hair wearing a black blazerImage source, Reuters
Image caption,

Michelle O’Neill said Nesbitt’s presence in the executive would be missed

First Minister Michelle O’Neill said she was “genuinely sorry” to see Nesbitt resign.

“I believe his presence in the executive will be missed,” she posted on social media. , external

“He played a constructive and mature part in the executive and was making welcome progress in reducing waiting lists.”

The chair of Stormont’s health committee, Sinn Féin MLA Phillip McGuigan, said he was convening an urgent meeting of the committee, adding that “patients and staff need leadership, stability and clarity”.

Emma Little Pengelly with black hair and pearl earringsImage source, PA Media
Image caption,

Emma Little-Pengelly said “work must continue” and that she would “push for accelerated delivery”

Deputy First Minister Emma Little-Pengelly thanked Nesbitt “for the positive engagement on a range of issues, particularly on health waiting lists”.

She said “work must continue” and that she would “push for accelerated delivery”.

“Too many people were and are waiting much too long – for operations, for investigations and tests, for the much-needed medical interventions. Access to GPs continues to be a huge and frustrating issue for people all over Northern Ireland,” she said in a social media post., external

Figure caption,

DUP MLA Paul Frew urges UUP to reassure the public as Health Minister resigns in bust-up with party leader Burrows

DUP leader Gavin Robinson said there was a test for Burrows. , external

“Will he appoint a Health Minister who will deliver the commitment he made to the people of Causeway, or will he walk away from the Executive and surrender responsibility for Health altogether?”

Speaking on Radio Ulster’s The Nolan Show, the DUP’s Paul Frew said that if this were to happen, the D’Hondt system would be triggered, and he believed the DUP would be the next party in line for that ministry.

Matthew O'Toole speaking. He is wearing a coat and tie. Background is out of focusImage source, PA Media
Image caption,

Matthew O’Toole said the news comes as “an insult to healthcare workers and patients”

Stormont’s leader of the opposition, Matthew O’Toole, said the resignation underlined the need for a more serious and responsible approach to government in Northern Ireland.

He said the news would “come as an insult to healthcare workers and patients who had been promised a serious approach to reforming our broken system”.

“Once again, our public services are undermined by irresponsibility, short-termism and political game-playing.”

Alliance Party leader Naomi Long said her immediate concern was “for those who work in the health service and the patients reliant on its effectiveness”.

“Credit to Mike Nesbitt with whom I have worked well,” she added.

The party’s health spokesperson, Nuala McAllister, accused Burrows of putting “the cart before the horse” when he said he would never support the removal of services from the hospital because Stormont politicians are still waiting for the final evidence from experts.

“I think it would have been untenable for Mike to remain in his position…when his party leader has come out against decisions,” she added.

Independent MLA for the area where the Causeway Hospital is situated, Claire Sugden, described Nesbitt’s resignation as “regrettable” and told North West Today “we are at a point in the mandate where any new successor in the health portfolio is really there in a caretaking role.”

Figure caption,

John Compton, former head of the Health and Social Care Board, reacts as Health Minister resigns over row with party leader

Aontú deputy leader Gemma Brolly, who is chair of the SoS Causeway Hospital campaign group, said the new health minister must prioritise and defend services at the site.

She said her priority was “to halt the pattern of stripping essential services” from the hospital.

Related topics

  • Northern Ireland
  • Mike Nesbitt
  • NI Health
  • UUP (Ulster Unionist Party)

More on this story

  • New UUP leader wants it to become largest unionist party

    • Published
      31 January
    Jon Burrows is wearing a white shirt with navy blazer and tie. The background is blurry.
  • Doug Beattie quits UUP as clear his membership no longer ‘tenable’

    • Published
      31 May
    Doug Beattie has grey hair and a grey beard. He is wearing wired framed, rectangular frames, a navy jacket, white shirt and navy tie.
  • ‘Disappointment’ over plan to cut emergency surgery at Causeway

    • Published
      22 May 2025
    A woman with brown hair is looking into the camera. She wears glasses and is wearing a blue jumper and gold earrings.

Originally published on www.bbc.co.uk — View original

By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *