Image source, Simon Jones/BBCA water station in Cranbrook is open to help those experiencing supply issues
-
Published
Drinking water supplies have been restored to about 7,600 properties in Kent which have been experiencing no water or low pressure, South East Water (SEW) has said.
More than 8,000 customers were affected by the latest supply disruptions, which SEW said was a result of prolonged hot weather, high demand, pipe bursts, and power issues.
The company said supplies had been restored to properties in Herne Bay, Rough Common and Blean, but urged all customers to use water for “essential” purposes only.
About 400 properties in Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden are continuing to experience low pressure or no water and properties in Herne Bay might experience “intermittent supplies” later, SEW added.
Image source, Simon Jones/BBCSEW said issues were a result of prolonged hot weather, high demand, pipe bursts, and power issues
Mike Court, South East Water incident manager, said water levels in the storage tank that supplies Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden remained “critically low”.
He urged “all customers to continue using water for essential uses only today”.
Residents had been told it could be a couple of days before their water supplies were restored, with some having experienced days of disruption.
A bottled water station has reopened at the Weald Sports Centre in Cranbrook, which has been the worst affected area alongside Benenden.
Other stations are open at:
-
Sainsburys, Altira Business Park, Herne Bay
-
Kavanagh Cinema, William Street Car Park, Herne Bay
-
Sturry Road Park and Ride, Canterbury
-
Wincheap Park and Ride, Canterbury
Image source, Lucy Barron-ReidAbout 400 properties in Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden are continuing to experience issues
On Monday night, Benenden residents used the emergency bottles of water they had received over the previous days to send a clear message, which read: “Help Us”.
Among the properties without water in the village is The Bull Inn, owned by Lucy Barron-Reid, who admitted she was becoming “quite tired and worn down” by the situation.
She told the BBC: “As a busy village pub, it’s really challenging trying to work out how we can trade without water.
“It’s now getting a little bit hairy. We haven’t had water since last Thursday and we’re supposed to be opening our kitchen tomorrow. At the moment, we’re having to debate whether we can do that.”
Also affected is Benenden’s Community Shop, which also serves as a cafe, where water supply remains a “lottery”, according to manager Clare Jaques.
“We have water at the moment but the pressure is not great, we have no idea when it will work and when it won’t,” she said.
Image source, Lili Sheppard/BBCThe manager of Benenden’s Community Shop, which also serves as a cafe, said the water supply remained inconsistent
SEW head of health and safety, Mike Pickard, said: “We completely understand how frustrating and upsetting it is to be without water, particularly when people are trying to look after their families, go to work and carry on with their daily lives.
“We apologise unreservedly for the persistent issues and disruption this ongoing situation continues to cause our customers.”
Meanwhile, the water company is urging customers to treat its frontline teams with patience after it had reports of staff being threatened and vehicles being attacked.
Pickard stressed: “No-one should face threats, intimidation or violence simply for doing their job”.
He added: “If our teams feel unsafe, they may have no choice but to leave an area.”
On Monday, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the situation was “simply not good enough.”
A spokesperson said the company’s new leadership “must now deliver a step change in performance, where customers’ needs are prioritised”.
SEW was the first water firm to issue a hosepipe ban this summer, having barred 850,000 customers in Kent on 3 July.
This ban was extended to parts of Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and Hampshire about three weeks later.
Get in touch
Do you live in the area and are still experiencing issues? Get in touch.
Follow BBC Kent on Facebook, external, on X, external, and on Instagram, external and listen to BBC Radio Kent on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk, external or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.
Related topics
- Cranbrook
- Benenden
- Herne Bay
- Rolvenden
Related stories
-
Thousands without water told issues could last days
-
Published8 hours ago

-
-
Water supplies returning after hundreds of homes affected
-
Published1 day ago

-
Related internet links
-
South East Water
Originally published on www.bbc.co.uk — View original